Island Country Club opened in 1966 as Marco Island’s premier amenity for the sale of single family homes and condominiums by the Deltona Corporation.
In September 1986, a group of 400 members purchased the club from Deltona thereby creating the island’s only private country club.
The Club’s first golf professional was “Champagne” Tony Lema. Upon his untimely death in 1966, a tournament was created and held in his honor for several years. The event featured golfing greats and celebrities of that era.
In 1981, Gene “The Squire” Sarazen became the club’s resident golf pro, a title he held until his death in 1999. A gallery of rare Gene Sarazen memorabilia, donated to the club by the “Squire” himself, is open to members and guests.
A fire in 1993 led to the construction of a new 40,000 square foot clubhouse. This new clubhouse opened in 1995 and increased in size to 50,000 square feet in 2006. The latest renovation featured a total makeover and redesign plus an expanded Golf Shop and fitness facility. Also new is a freestanding indoor/outdoor restaurant, boasting a spectacular view, named the “Double Eagle” in honor of Gene Sarazen’s “shot heard ‘round the world”, rare double eagle at the 1935 Master’s Tournament.